Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows 9x? (Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-047))

From: "Patrick R. Sweeney" <patsw () BELLATLANTIC NET>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:12:00 -0400

I take this as an indication that they have not addressed this in Win9x and
do not intend to address it there.  I do not take it as an indication that
this vulnerability does not exist there.

Assuming a subnet of all win9x machines I would assume this could act as a
DoS for browsing - duplicate the name of the Master Browser for the subnet,
or for accessing shares of a particular machine perhaps.  I don't expect
this would cause issues with WINS registration, Authentication against a DC,
etc.  I would have to check the various resolution orders which can be
specified for NetBIOS names, but if I am looking to the WINS server before
the subnet's Master Browser then  I am not certain you can really cause an
effective DoS by spoofing a win9x box in a mixed environment (In this case
Win9x and NT - at least) where WINS is working.  I think you would have to
be peer-to-peer, or have broken WINS, or absent WINS.

Assuming you were absent WINS, the PDC was specified on the subnet Master
Browser in an LMHosts file, the PDC was not otherwise specified on the local
machines, no NT or SaMBa boxes on the subnet, and the results of any
election were forced in the registry, then I suppose you could reliably
cause a DoS by spoofing the Subnet Master Browser's netBIOS name on another
box in the same subnet.

Are there other potential DoS conditions from spoofing Win9x boxes from this
vulnerability?