Bugtraq mailing list archives

mailbox format incopatibility in (WU)imap with mail.local

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:16:39 +0400

Hello,

  It's  not  big,  but  interesting  security  hole.  In  fact neither
  mail.local  nor  imap  has  any bugs, but the problem rises from the
  fact  there  is  no  clear  format  for  Unix mailbox. Since I think
  mail.local  has  more  suitable  mailbox  format I decided to report
  problem as imap problem. May be I'm wrong.

  Thanks to w00w00 and USSR Labs. And sorry for my bad English.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Title         :   mailbox format incompatibility in (WU)imap with
                    mail.local
  Authors       :   3APA3A () security nnov ru, agk () sandy ru
  Impact        :   malicious user can put message with faked headers
                    in  user's  mailbox  bypassing  virus  protection,
                    buffer  overflow  protection  and  another MTA/MDA
                    filters.  Also imap itself or MUA can be DoS'ed by
                    the way shown below.
  Software      :   imapd-4.7c and prior versions then combined with
                    mail.local and probably some another MDAs
  OS            :   *BSD, may be others
  Vendor Status :   Mark Crispin and Sendmail notified, no satisfying
                    solution yet provided.

  Details:

  Then  delivering message to user's mailbox mail.local believes, that
  messages  are delimited by empty line followed by "From " header. If
  this combination found in message text it will be commented out. Yet
  imap,  while parsing user's mailbox relies only on "From " header in
  special  format and doesn't check empty line. This makes it possible
  to  put  faked  message  with  faked  RFC-822  header (including all
  header  after  non-empty  line.  This  can  be used both for sending
  spoofed  messages  and  DoS'ing  user's  mailbox by emulating a huge
  number of messages.

  Exploitation:

  Shell  string  below  send  a  single  approx. 2.5 Mb message. After
  delivering  imap  will  think  there is more then 70,000 messages in
  user's mailbox.

perl -e 'print "1\nFrom user Wed Dec  2 05:53:22 1992\n\n"x70000' |\
mail -s "Oooops I did it again" victim

  Then  this  70,000 messages are received with MUA, MUA usually fails
  (mostly  because  of  memory problems). Was tested with The Bat! and
  Netscape.  After  that  on FreeBSD 3.2 PIII 128Mb box I noticed next
  behavior:  ipop3  (imapd  was  not  tested) freezes in sbwait state,
  locking  99%  CPU  and amount of memory (much more then message size
  itself). After 30 minutes situation has not changed.

  Patch:

  One  is for imapd-4.7c. It was not excessively tested and may be not
  complete, but believed to close this very hole.

*** unix.c.old  Wed Feb 23 03:43:30 2000
--- unix.c      Thu Aug 10 12:58:19 2000
***************
*** 1048,1053 ****
--- 1048,1054 ----
    unsigned long i,j,k,m;
    char c,*s,*t,*u,tmp[MAILTMPLEN],date[30];
    int ti = 0,pseudoseen = NIL,retain = T;
+   int wasempty;
    unsigned long nmsgs = stream->nmsgs;
    unsigned long prevuid = nmsgs ? mail_elt (stream,nmsgs)->private.uid : 0;
    unsigned long recent = stream->recent;
***************
*** 1389,1404 ****
        k = m = 0;              /* no previous line size yet */
                                /* note current position */
        j = LOCAL->filesize + GETPOS (&bs);
        if (i) do {             /* look for next message */
          s = unix_mbxline (stream,&bs,&i);
          if (i) {              /* got new data? */
!           VALID (s,t,ti,zn);  /* yes, parse line */
            if (!ti) {          /* not a header line, add it to message */
              elt->rfc822_size +=
                k = i + (m = (((i < 2) || s[i - 2] != '\r') ? 1 : 0));
                                /* update current position */
              j = LOCAL->filesize + GETPOS (&bs);
            }
          }
        } while (i && !ti);     /* until found a header */
        elt->private.msg.text.text.size = j -
--- 1390,1408 ----
        k = m = 0;              /* no previous line size yet */
                                /* note current position */
        j = LOCAL->filesize + GETPOS (&bs);
+       wasempty = 1;
        if (i) do {             /* look for next message */
          s = unix_mbxline (stream,&bs,&i);
          if (i) {              /* got new data? */
!           if (wasempty) VALID (s,t,ti,zn);    /* yes, parse line */
            if (!ti) {          /* not a header line, add it to message */
              elt->rfc822_size +=
                k = i + (m = (((i < 2) || s[i - 2] != '\r') ? 1 : 0));
                                /* update current position */
              j = LOCAL->filesize + GETPOS (&bs);
            }
+           if ( *s == '\n') wasempty = 1;
+           else wasempty = 0;
          }
        } while (i && !ti);     /* until found a header */
        elt->private.msg.text.text.size = j -

http://www.security.nnov.ru
         /\_/\
                    |/
You know my name - look up my number (The Beatles)