Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: A funny way to DOS pcANYWHERE8.0 and 9.0

From: christopher () SCHULTE ORG (Christopher Schulte)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:32:17 -0500

At 09:35 AM 4/9/00 +0000, you wrote:
i found a funny thing about pcANYWHERE.
when we use pcANYWHERE remote control client to connect the
host running pcANYWHERE, at first the statu bar appears
"pcANYWHERE connecting..." ,then the login window will
appear;
but if we press "Cancel" before the login window appears,
the pcANYWHERE service will be crashed. We can't connect
the host via pcANYWHERE client any longer.

I had to repeat the 'connect, cancel, wait, reconnect, cancel, wait,
reconnect' process a few times to successfully crash the service.  The
first time I waited a few seconds to see if it would restart itself.... and
it did!  I was able to connect again.  But when I did the same DoS again,
it never came back.

if host running pcANYWHERE 9.0, We can restore the service
by the following steps:
telnet host 5631
appers:
}
Please press <Enter>...

then press Enter
We can connect pcANYWHERE now :)

Not on my end:

[schulte@unix-box schulte]$ telnet win.box.with.pca9 5631
Trying win.box.with.pca9...
Connected to win.box.with.pca9.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I was unable to restart the service via this method.  Since this machine
was local to me, it's not an issue.  However, this could present some
obvious problems with my various co-located boxes.......

I assume symantec has been contacted?

--
Christopher Schulte | christopher () schulte org
cell:612.986.4859   | home:651.225.4557 | fax: 651.315.3339