Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: VLAN Security

From: lnapier () CISCO COM (Lisa Napier)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:59:23 -0700

Hi all,

In our testing, working with default configurations of competitors
products, we found roughly the same behavior.

And if you are using ISL, this is not a problem, and packets are dropped
accordingly.

The implementation of 802.1q is focused on speed.  The changes necessary to
function as the Bayswitch does, looking for the 802.1q on input would
affect performance.  We are discussing the tradeoffs and options with
product management at this time.

The use of ISL trunking eliminates this problem, and improperly tagged
packets are indeed dropped at the input port.  This is due to where this
information is located in the frames.  ISL tags are prior to the
destination mac address, 802.1q tags occur after the destination mac.  On
these switches, the input processing only goes as far as the destination
mac, and presumes that is all the information needed to make a
determination as to where to forward the frame.

It should also be noted that there are configuration workarounds.  This can
occur ONLY from the native vlan.  Forwarding improperly tagged packets
across an 802.1q trunk can be avoided by assigning an unused vlan number to
the native vlan.

Thank you,

Lisa Napier
Product Security Incident Response Team