Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape communicator 4.06J, 4.5J-4.6J, 4.61e Buffer Overflow

From: kerb () FNUSA COM (Kerb)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:40:41 -0500

I tried the URL for the notepad.exe on a Windows 95 (4.00.950a) machine,
Pentium II 266 w/ 56 MB of RAM,
using Netscape Communicator 4.05 Preview Release 1 (AWT 1.1.5) even though
these are coded for Win98.  When I went
there with NC 4.05, it gave me a blue screen of death that was completely
unrecoverable.  I had to reboot the system.
So, basically, it is a DoS for Netscape users, could possibly be coded into a
CGI or Javascript that checks browser
version and writes the corresponding exploit code.   Just a thought.

-Kerb

On Thursday, September 02, 1999 9:46 AM, DEF CON ZERO WINDOW