Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hotmail security vulnerability (viruses)

From: thejian () NET-SECURITY ORG (Thejian)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:20:33 +0100

While we are discussing Hotmail, has anyone noticed that Hotmail's virus
scanner doesn't detect most macro viruses - including any of the Melissa
varients?

This article (published on Techweb last friday) notes that problem yes.
It's not much of a solution (none at all, come to think of it) but it shows
yet another of the problems this service is dealing with and exposing it's
users to.

http://techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19991015S0016

Xander Teunissen

E-MAIL              thejian () net-security org
HNS                 http://net-security.org
DEFAULT Newsletter: http://default.net-security.org
PGP                 http://net-security.org/pgp/thejian

"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres
behind the house. Do not trifle with me."

echelon: FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF Malcolm X
Militia Gun Handgun MILGOV Assault Rifle Terrorism Bomb
Drug Force Constituition Bill Of Rights...etc