Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RFP9903: AeDubug vulnerabilty

From: Steve.Coleman () JHUAPL EDU (Steve Coleman)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:15:17 -0400

Mark Dixon wrote:

Does the debugger fire when no one is logged
in ? I imagine it does but I've never seen a Dr Watson at the login
screen.

I once had an NT cron job that would invoke Dr Watson late at night when
ever a certain piece of network hardware was not accessible. The Dr
Watson would hang until someone logged in and clicked the Ok button.
During the interum, since my application instance was still loaded in
memory, a new instance could not be run at any subsequently scheduled
time. It seems to me that this behaviour could be classified as a DOS
attack if someone knew how to force a Dr Watson for a given process.

I don't recall what version of Dr Watson but I do know that it occured
with both NT 3.51 and NT 4.0 sp3.

--
Steve Coleman     <Steve.Coleman () jhuapl edu>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
<<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>