Bugtraq mailing list archives

MS Outlook alert : Cuartango Active Setup

From: aleph1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Elias Levy)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:54:05 -0800

Juan Carlos Garcia Cuartango has found the following security vulnerability
in Microsoft Outlook. This is a highly dangerous issue. It allow a remote
attacker to email an Outlook user an executable which will be run when
the user views the attachment without asking them whether to save it or
execute it. This vulnerability could be used by a virus like Melissa to
propagate itself across the network. Any user that views the attachment
would then become infected. Juan has worked with Microsoft to release
a fix. It should be out today.

I asked Juan to release full details but because of the potential damage
he rather keeps example exploits to himself. That being said there is
enough details here to reverse engineer the vulnerability. If anyone figures
them post to the list.

Quick fix: Disable Javascript in Outlook.

This is BUGTRAQ ID 775. You can view our vulnerability database entry at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/775