Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Guestbook.pl, sloppy SSI handling in Apache? (VD#2)

From: swhite () OX COMPSOC NET (Stephen White)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:31:03 +0000

Blue Boar wrote:
If you're running the guestbook program, AND you have HTML posting enabled
(this is a guestbook configuration option) AND you have SSI enabled for
.html files, you are vulnerable.  Other configurations may be vulnerable if
customizations have been made, for example modifying the guestbook.pl
script to write to guestbook.shtml instead of guestbook.html, and having
SSI enabled on .shtml files.

Erm, isn't it standard practise not to enable SSI for .html for exactly
this sort of reason?  When a webdesigner/sysadmin/whoever uses .shtml
with CGI enabled they need to be aware that they are giving whoever
generates the HTML a shell prompt, exactly like using the exec() command
in a Perl script, etc, and the input should be checked accordingly.

This is not a fault of Apache or even Matt's script, but of it being
used incompetently.  It's a standard case of if you don't fully
understand the security implictations don't change the configuration.

BTW, I have lots of .shtml of the form <a href="someurl"><!--#include
virtual="randimg.pl"--></a> and I certainly expect apache to run it.
This is the correct behaviour.

--
Stephen White <swhite () ox compsoc net>