Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogdadvisory)

From: rubini () LINUX IT (Alessandro Rubini)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:48:58 +0100

<Linux specific>
I could make that trouble happen while testing by overloading the kernel
logging facility with a dumb logger ipchains policy looking like [...]

The behaviour you describe only applies to kernel-generated log messages.

This is because kernel messages are put in a circular buffer for later
retrivial by user space (when syslogd gets scheduled for execution).

If the buffer overlaps, you loose one-buffer-worth of data. Use of a
dynamic buffer for kernel messages would not be wise, as it might lead
to an easy DoS attack.

(BTW, if anyone could tell me how to increase that buffer, I'm still
interested)

It wouldn't really help, in my opinion: you'll loose data more rarely,
but you'll loose much more data when that happens. Anyways,
change LOG_BUF_LEN in kernel/printk.c.

/alessandro