Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogdadvisory)

From: okir () MONAD SWB DE (Olaf Kirch)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:11:08 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 05:21:35PM -0500, Shafik Yaghmour wrote:
      So if you have a high system load it is okay to have some of the
syslog messages lost? Hmm, I dunno, IMHO it is never okay, I mean why
should you open up the opportunity at all. You know, security based on
something being "not so prone to failure" doesn't exactly make me feel
warm and cozy.

As long as syslog uses a connected socket (which it does), and doesn't
flag MSG_NOWAIT (which it doesn't), there isn't anything in the kernel
source that looks like the code will fail under cpu/memory/whatever
contention.

Just because UDP datagrams are unreliable that doesn't mean that UNIX
datagrams are too.

Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir () monad swb de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax