Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: local users can panic linux kernel (was: SuSE syslogd

From: alan () LXORGUK UKUU ORG UK (Alan Cox)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:32:38 +0000

It isn't clear for me what can be done to protect the whole system inside
syslogd.  Does anybody knows what SuSE really changed?
Their source package isn't very helpful.

There were two notable problems

1.      Syslogd defaulted to stream sockets which means you have resource
        control problems - in fact Dan Bernstein posted some very good stuff
        about that issue about a year ago

2.      The client code decided it would be a good idea to wait - ie do a
        blocking connect. Unfortunate it someone ate all the syslog handles

With a datagram system it comes down to losing messages under load. I think that
is about as good as you can get.

Alan