Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: rpc.nfsd exploit code

From: R.E.Wolff () BITWIZARD NL (Rogier Wolff)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 00:16:39 +0100

Mariusz Marcinkiewicz wrote:

Hi

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Crispin Cowan wrote:

We were unable to get this sploit to actually produce a root shell on an
unprotected nfsd.

Sorry, this version of exploit wasn't tested well. Maybe it doesn't work
in some cases.

Maybe. My experience is that when I send a working exploit to about 20
linux users who volunteered to test these things, I get about a 50/50
'Whoa that gave me a root shell in a second' versus 'Nope, we're safe:
this doesn't work on .....'

The "bad" guys have the time and take the trouble to tune an exploit
till it works. The "good" guys don't have the time. It's best to take
"there is an exploit" or "this is the exploit" at face value and
upgrade. Really.

                                Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff () BitWizard nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
 "I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you."