Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion (new issue)

From: paulle () MICROSOFT COM (Paul Leach)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:33:34 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremie [mailto:jer () jeremie com]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 5:25 PM
To: BUGTRAQ () netspace org; Paul Leach
Subject: Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion (new issue)

That's correct.
I believe that the rule for Intranet zone is simple -- if
the name has no
"." and is less than 15 characters long, then it's Intranet
zone. This
algorithm works with the default configuration of Windows.
If you configure
your machine so that the above assumption is violated, then
you'll get a
mis-classification.

I believe the assumptions above are flawed, there is another
issue on this
topic which I haven't seen mentioned yet, the TLDs.

The assumptions may indeed be flawed, but I don't understand how your
observations below demonstrate that.

I haven't researched this fully, but one day I was distracted
when working
on one of the servers and accidentally typed another command without
finishing the first:
prompt> ping ls

I was quite surprised(astonished) to see replies!  Apparently there's
nothing stopping a TLD server from assigning an IP address
*TO THE TLD*,
so LEO Internet Services, > http://ls/ <, assigned their IP
to Lesotho's.

I haven't tested any of the other TLDs yet, but I can
envision a future
where TLD registration is open and McDonalds creates the TLD
"mcdonalds"
and uses that as their primary site.

I don't have IE handy, so I haven't tested how it handles
this situation.

Jeremie
jer () jeremie com