Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: jim () JTAN COM (Jim Paris)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:17:43 -0500

The difference between MS98-016 and your examples is simple.  The bulletin
addressed an issue where an external site could, without your control, fool
your browser into thinking a remote site was "local intranet".

And this can occur with my examples as well.  I didn't control it at
all.

In your
examples, the user must choose specific settings to allow the problem to
occur.  If you are concerned about the problem, simply remove .com, etc.
from your DNS suffix search, and don't put nasty hosts in your hosts file.

Just because I added a DNS suffix search order and put hosts into my
hosts file does not (or, at least, SHOULD not) mean that I am choosing
"specific settings to allow the problem to occur".  How was I supposed
to know that simplifying my life by adding a search suffix of ".com" was
opening me up to a vulnerability?

In the end, this is not a "bug" in the browser - it's a configuration
problem.  While worthy of mention, it does not deserve flamage.

No, this is a bug in the browser.  Changing something over at point A
shouldn't affect my security at point B.

-jim