Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris libc exploit

From: scott () IGC APC ORG (Scott Weikart)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:37:00 -0700

4118295 LC_* can be used to obtain root access from setuid programs
This is already fixed in Solaris 7 and the following patches for
Solaris 2.6:
  RELEASE     ARCH  PATCH
  5.6         i386  105211-06
  5.6         sparc 105210-06

OK, did I miss the later messages on this topic?  I've been waiting for a
formal announcement from Sun, or a real patch, or someone to say that this
patch definitely fixes the problem, or SOMETHING...

I don't know what version of patching Peter was talking about, but right
now, I can consistently gain root on my Solaris 7 sparc box, with MU2
applied, using the LC_MESSAGES buffer overflow exploit.  And I can
consistently do Bad Things to sh on a Solaris 2.6 box with 105210-19
(its a production machine, I can't actively root it).

Both 105210-22 and 105211-22 were released June 25, and list as the bug fixed:

        4240566 security: LC_MESSAGES buffer overflow

-scott