Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: nmap can crash microsoft telnetd

From: cmw32 () CAM AC UK (Chris Wilson)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:26:22 +0000

Tomas Halgas wrote:

Nmap 2.01++ can crash microsoft winnt telnetd. Only need to have option
-sS enabled when scanning...
You will get a aplication popup with message like this - program made an
illegal operation.

From my experience of Windows NT 4 running the telnetd service supplied in the
Resource Kit, this daemon seems to crash after any successful connection,
requiring a reboot. The Windows NT telnet daemon does not seem to be reliable
in any useful sense.

Ciao, Chris.
--
 / __// / ,__(_)_  Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson () fitz cam ac uk> Unix+Net+RC5