Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Hotmail

From: cls () SEAWOOD ORG (Christopher Seawood)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:08:16 -0800

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:

I contacted Microsoft/Hotmail asking them to close the account
of that was listed in the backdoored tcp wrapper source code.
I also forwarded the offending code.

The word back from them is that they will not close it.  Theft
of passwords and hacking does not violate thier terms of
service.

It doesn't? I don't have a hotmail account but I ran across the following:

http://www.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/dasp/fm_shell.asp?head=Policy+and+Member+Conduct&content=nospam&back=svcs&from=svcs

"The following is extracted from the Hotmail Terms of Service Agreement to
which each Hotmail member must adhere. "

"Member agrees: ... (2) not to use the Service for illegal purposes"

"Attempts to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems are
prohibited."

It sounds like cracking (not hacking) is definitely a violation of their
service agreement.  The real question is whether the receipt of the
passwords is the same as the (illegal) use of the passwords.  A lot of
admins will want to say yes (because of the security compromise) but I
doubt the law sees it the same way.  (Wasn't there a case recently in
Norway that covered this?)

- cls