Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Personal web server

From: smb () RESEARCH ATT COM (Steven M. Bellovin)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:20:16 -0800

In message <19990120165948.A14518 () underground org>, Aleph One writes:

I tought we've seen the last of these Windows file aliases vulnerabilities.
Guess I was wrong. Incredible the amount of cruft the Windows file name
parser will take. Wonder what other wonderful aliases are waiting to be
discovered.

I'm sure there are others; determing access permissions by application-level
parsing of file names is a fundamentally flawed notion.  I've watched it fail
for at least 20 years, in systems at least as old as uucp through today's
Web servers.  And it's not just Windows, though the complexity of its
syntax compared to that of Unix makes life much tougher.  And think of all
of the opportunities for race conditions with this sort of parsing, especially
with complex types.