Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Preventing remote OS detection

From: james () VANEYCK GII GETTY EDU (James Lockwood)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:17:41 -0800

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Patrick Gilbert wrote:

A technique exists to determine a remote operating system by sending
obscure tcp
packets and analyzing the response. Two utilites known as queso and nmap
can
determine with enough precision your operating system. This has been
known for quite some time, but I haven't seen much on how to prevent it.

It's probably worth mentioning that IP Filter by Darren Reed can trap
many abnormal packets "in the wild", before the system TCP stack gets a
chance to play with them.  I prefer to swallow up anything that doesn't
fit my filters, but by playing with responses returned when packets with
strange flags are received you can forge another system.

I wouldn't think of running a production internet system without it:

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

--
James D. Lockwood                    The (former) Getty Information Institute
System Administrator                       1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 300