Bugtraq mailing list archives

Applets listening on Sockets in Java

From: gem () RSTCORP COM (Gary McGraw)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:37:59 -0500

Bugtraq readers interested in what Java code can and cannot do
from a security perspective should see:

                http://www.securingjava.com

where Ed Felten and I have placed the entire contents of our new book
"Securing Java" on the Web for free.  (We wrote Java Security: HA HA
back in 1996.)

Data point: the new Java 2 security model makes no distinction
between applets and applications.  The ability for Java code
to open a socket connection can be changed at the discression
of the VM's security policy manager.

                                gem

|  Dr. Gary McGraw      gem () rstcorp com   |              (__)      |
|  Vice President                         |       /-------\/       |
|  Reliable Software Technologies (RST)   |      / |     ||        |
|  Sterling, VA                           |     *  ||----||        |
|  <http://www.rstcorp.com/~gem>          |        ^^    ^^        |