Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: mr_joej () HOTMAIL COM (Mr. joej)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:46:48 PST

[snip]
There appears to be some misunderstanding on your part.
[snip]

nope, no misunderstanding here.  I am very clued in on the problem.

Anyway ...

I never called it a 'bug'.  I called it a misrepresentation.  Example:
You test for the OOB or winnuke DoS.  Do you retrieve the OS version,
and look for vulnerable versions? NO, you actually test it.  Hence the
test is pretty reliable.

However---
With the cisco router checks, if I have them selected, I scan my network
and Internet Scanner cannot gain access to the box via snmp or user exec
mode, then it will not report anything about these tests.  It doesn't
say I'm vulnerable.  It doesn't say I'm not vulnerable.
Refering back to the OOB test, why don't you just scan for these tests
to? the ioslogon bug in particular?

AND----
if you don't know how, and the only way for you to scan is looking at
the version, at least tell us (Internet Scanner users) that 'hey I
couldn't scan for these bugs for reason .. .blah blah'

now granted I don't care to see that you couldn't scan for NFS problems
on my router.  There would be no point.  But you definitely need to
figure something out!

once again, pointing out this is not bashing any product, I like ISS
Internet Scanner, however this is something they did not want to address
directly with me, nor did I think anyone else would be aware of this.
joej

Mr_JoeJ () hotmail com