Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-ftpd <=2.5 / BeroFTPD / lynx / vlock / mc / glibc 2.0.x

From: aj () ARTHUR RHEIN-NECKAR DE (Andreas Jaeger)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:06:36 +0200

Michal Zalewski writes:

First of all, something less or more personal - sorry to all secure ()    pl
people for this post. I'm really angry, as this stuff become well-known
without my knowledge... so, only a few of my own observations, always
trying to respect other's intellectual property.

All the best goes to el- :P

glibc 2.1.x and Linux without devpts mechanism
Please report glibc problems to the glibc developers first!

/usr/libexec/pt_chown --help outputs:
[...]
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs () gnu org>.

I didn't see any report on this on any glibc list! :-(

I'm forwarding this now.

------------------------------
glibc 2.0.x and LC_ALL, noexec
------------------------------

Compromise: locally, doing thins you shouldn't be able to do ;)

First of all - doing /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /program/on/noexec/partition is
the simpliest way to bypass noexec option, if only you have glibc 2.0.x.
Nothing to say, security by obscurity stinks.

Clean glibc 2.0.x, as distributed in .tar.gz, are vunerable to rather
seriuos problem with LC_ALL containing '../' tricks (just like in telnetd
and TERM case). In fact, in some Linux distributions, it has been silently
fixed, while people upgrading glibc to eg. 2.0.7 'from scratch' are not
aware of this problem, and many sites are vunerable. Using prepared
directory with locale specifications, including glibc error messages used
eg. by perror(), luser will be able to for example read setuid programs
memory, etc.
AFAIK those problems are fixed in glibc 2.1.x - if not please tell us.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj () arthur rhein-neckar de    jaeger () informatik uni-kl de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger () aixd1 rhrk uni-kl de