Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [RHSA-1999:028-01] Buffer overflow in libtermcap tgetent()

From: joey () FINLANDIA INFODROM NORTH DE (Martin Schulze)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:23:31 +0200

Michal Zalewski wrote:
Well, as this vunerability become well-known, I have nothing to loose,
enjoy: most of terminfo-based programs will accept TERM variable set to
eg. '../../../tmp/x'. All we have to do is to provide 'our own termcap
file', set TERM, then execute vunerable program w/terminfo support. In
fact, in.telnetd daemon shipped eg. with RH 6.0 /as well as with many
other recent distributions based on terminfo entries/, is vunerable... And
TERM variable can be passed using telnet ENVIRON option during protocol
negotiation before login procedure... Guess what?;) Almost remote root
(well, all you have to do locally is puting /tmp/x).

Are you referring to terminfo or termcap?  They are designed differently,
refer to different files and use different code.

Regards,

        Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto