Bugtraq mailing list archives

DOS against SuSE's identd

From: hendrik () SCHOLZ NET (Hendrik Scholz)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 20:29:48 -0000

Hi!

The inetd.conf starts the identd with the options -w -t120
-e.
This means that one identd process waits 120 seconds after
answering the first request to answer later request.
Lets say we start 100 requests in a short period.
Due to the fact that it takes time to answer one request
more identd's will be started each eating up about 900kb
memory and waiting 120 seconds before terminating.
I tested this behaviour on different machines with different
hardware (RAM, Swap, NIC).
Each machine becomes unusable after some seconds.
This bug is in _every_ SuSE Version at least since 4.4.
SuSE seems not to be interested in this bug becaus they
did not answer any of my mails.

CU, Hendrik