Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Plain text passwords--necessary

From: vandry () MLINK NET (Phillip Vandry)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:10:20 -0400

First, plain text passwords are being used is places where they need not
be. For example the recent post about the Real Media server storing
plain text passwords. There is no reason for the server to store
plain text passwords. It can store a hash and authenticate users
against the hash.

It's the old PAP versus CHAP debate. *YES*, there is reason for the
realmedia server to store the password in plaintext (although it
should still obfuscate it to prevent accidental viewing). I always
like to compare the types of PPP authentication to show this:

Method  Client     Wire       Server
PAP     Clear      Clear      Encrypted
CHAP    Clear      Encrypted  Clear

And I don't think we can do better than that. We can encrypt at only one
stage of the process. We have to make a tradeoff.

(Not that I'm saying RealMedia uses the CHAP model and encrypts over the
wire. It probably doesn't, and if that it the case, then it is indeed
stupid.)

-Phil