Bugtraq mailing list archives

More about SCO Filesystem DoS

From: tim () INFORIS RU (Tim Kutergin)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:59:13 +0400

        Hi !

        I would like to post additional information on SCO Filesystem DoS
that I posted yesterday.

SCO version: 5.0.0
Patches: Release Supplement 5.0.d, Network Supplement 1.0, oss434a

Bug is clearly repeteable and very dangerous (do not try to check it on
production machine!). After trying to cause it with perl script in /tmp I
got fatal filesystem corruption that fsck -ofull could not repair. System
refused to boot with message about inability to start /etc/init. I have
booted with Emergency disks and run fsck many times. Them mounted
/dev/hd0root. Result - permission denied error on /etc in root filesystem.
I was forced to remake root filesystem and restore it from backup.

SCO users - beware !

Timofey Kutergin