Bugtraq mailing list archives

CDE for Linux

From: susan.carney () TRITEAL COM (Susan Carney)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:11:50 -0700

Just to give you some background...

Since 1996 Red Hat has been marketing and selling CDE on Linux. This CDE
came from TriTeal Corporation (www.triteal.com) - a leading desktop
software company. TriTeal is the only non-OS vendor that markets and
sells CDE (called TED or TriTeal Enterprise Desktop), and we support it
on many UNIX platforms (currently Sun OS, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and
IRIX). In 1996, we entered an agreement with Red Hat whereby they would
be the sole supplier of TED for Linux.

As many of you know, in September Red Hat announced that Netscape and
Intel were taking equity positions in Red Hat. Also, within this month
all commercial products that Red Hat sold were dropped. The leading ones
were TED and Applix. They were dropped for different reasons.

On September 25, 1998 Red Hat announced that they were dropping their
CDE product (TED) because of a "security hole". They cited the following
CERT:

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.11.tooltalk.html

In actuality, TriTeal and Red Hat were in discussions about fixing this
CERT, and updating the product to a more current version. But, instead
they decided to drop the product. In my opinion I think they wanted to
remain an open source product - and thus dropped both TED and Applix.

Since this time TriTeal  has been evaluating a business plan for this
new market. We are nearing the end of our analysis and expect to have a
formal announcement within the next two weeks.

If you have any comments or suggestions before then, feel free to email
me at carney () triteal com.

Thanks for your patience,

Susan Carney
TED Product Manager