Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Internet Wide DOS Attack using IRC

From: cluster () VIDEOTRON CA (Samuel Cossette)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:55:01 -0400

I have done my own investigation about it;

First it's not Back Orifice, it's another fuck*** trojan, spread by a DCC
bot on EFnet (#warez950-dcc). When it's installed this is request 3 files on
Geocities! (configuration) After, the trojan start an irc session on EFNet.
The first channel was #^C^CHaVoC^B^B with a key, when they discover the
presence of intruder they have changed the channel (#^_^_HaVoC^B^B) And
since 1-2 weeks the channel is empty and when i start my laptop (infected) I
see, on the monitoring screen of my server, some connection on Geocities
this is retrieve a file and this is return a 404 url not found.

When a clone (Havoc call an infected computer a "Drone") is connected on irc
anybody can control this with Private msg command (.join #chan, .part, .do
[raw command]). 2-3 week ago the infected chan get about 500-700 drones
(stable). My personnal estimation of infected computer it's 15000+.

With 500 "clones" they can easily split an irc server with the command
MOTD:irc.server.net (.do raw command).

To see if you are infected do CTRL-ALT-DEL in windows and if you have a
process called OCE it's the Havoc's trojan :] remove it in your system
directory usualy c:\windows\system

Samuel Cossette