Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible mail spool problem

From: cjuleff () IAC IAFRICA COM (Conrad Juleff)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:26:10 +0200

suse 5.2 has the permissions 1777 or drwxrwxrwt. This isnt a problem
and most systems are setup this way.

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 08:06:32PM -0600, signal wrote:
Following installation of suse 5.1, the setup software sets the mail spool
directory world writable, which has a potential of causing some security
problems.  although I have checked alot of possible forms of exploiting
this, there is probably some I have missed.  removing the o+w bit from the
directory will surely solve the problems.

                                                signal
                                                <soren () PANGEA CA>