Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: quickie fix to xdm port problem

From: iang () CS BERKELEY EDU (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 00:34:09 GMT

In article <199805191416.IAA10325 () cybers0d20 cg wave shaw ca>,
id est  <mrn () SHAW WAVE CA> wrote:
When "xdm" starts up, it creates a random high-numbered port
that is apparently vulnerable to buffer overruns.  The following
is an extremely stone-knives-and-bearskins hack to deal with
this problem, useful for those of us who just run X on a single
machine and don't use "chooser".

Get the source for "xdm" and comment out the line

   chooserFd = socket (AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

in the file "socket.c".  Build and install.  That's it.

This closes that particular hole, abeit crudely.  xdm starts
up, seems to run normally, and does not create that random high-
numbered port.

This is _still_ there?!  I sent them a patch for this like _years_ ago!

I still have their response (but I don't seem to still have the message I
sent which contains the patch):