Bugtraq mailing list archives

NTCrash2

From: aleph1 () DFW NET (Aleph One)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:34:23 -0600

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:11:17 +0000
From: Paul Ashton <paul () ARGO DEMON CO UK>
To: NTBUGTRAQ () LISTSERV NTBUGTRAQ COM
Subject: NTCrash2

From: http://www.ntinternals.com/ntdll.htm
by Mark Russinovich.

A little over a year ago I wrote a program called NTCrash that barraged
the Native API interface with garbage parameters. The program discovered
13 WIN32K system services that failed to perform comprehensive parameter
validation, the result of which were Blue Screens. Microsoft closed these
holes in Service Pack 1.

About two months ago I revisited NTCrash and tweaked it to be more intelligent
about generating garbage - the garbage this new version, NTCrash2, produces
hits boundary conditions that can be easy to miss in validation. In fact,
this revision found 40 more APIs with Blue Screen holes. Microsoft has been
made aware of the holes and they will be closed in Service Pack 4."

40?! I wonder how many of these could be turned into exploits?

Paul
--
"Il software e' come il sesso; e' meglio quando e' gratis - LT"