Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /usr/dt/bin/dtappgather exploit

From: steven.goldberg () West Sun COM (Steven Goldberg - SE - Seattle WA)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:51:54 -0800

A patch is in the works and should be available soon.

thanks for the heads up.

Steve

To: steven.goldberg@West
CC: bugtraq () NETSPACE ORG
Subject: Re: /usr/dt/bin/dtappgather exploit
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:54:38 -0800
From: Robert Lau <rslau () skat usc edu>

This happened on a Solaris 2.5.1 box with the latest Sun CDE patches,
including 104498-02.  We don't see any more recent patches at sunsolve.

  -r-x--x--x   1 root     bin       115708 Jan  7 14:55 bin/dtappgather*

Yet, they still managed to get the link:

  /var/dt/appconfig/appmanager/generic-display-0 -> /etc/shadow

The link was owned by the user whose account was compromised.
They got root, replaced ssh and telnet binaries with ones that
logged username/passwords to /usr/include/v9/sys/stdio.h

We've contacted Sun but this it hasn't made it past first level tech
support...  In the meantime, we've removed SUID root on dtappgather.

Robert Lau
Information Services Division - Core Services
University of Southern California