Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Silly patch to report version.bind requests

From: petersv () DF LTH SE (Peter Svensson)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:39:49 +0200

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Craig H. Rowland wrote:

While I don't suspect this will break anything, I would like to hear if it
does. I've been running the patch without incident, but no guarantees as
usual.

On the other hand the version request feature is very much used among dns
operators to track down errors. A lot of traffic on the bind mailing lists
was regarding how to find out the version number of a remote bind
installation. It had proven very helpful to us on many occasions so I hope
not too many people will use this patch.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv () df lth se> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF