Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Todd.Miller () COURTESAN COM (Todd C. Miller)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:02:24 -0600

In message <199807281751.KAA09455 () lestat nas nasa gov>
        so spake Jason Thorpe (thorpej):

I'd also like to point out that the OpenBSD "fix" for the problem is
incorrect.

It is now possible for the OpenBSD read and write system calls to return
garbage "bytes actually transfered" values.

Not as of this afternoon ;-)  Personally, I think it's pretty stupid
that the return values for read/write are not large enough to encode
their size param.  Actually, XPG does not prohibit the use of nbytes
SSIZE_MAX, but that will hose people who check for a failed system
call by chaning against "< 0" instead of "== -1".  What the "right"
thing to do here is largely a matter of opinion as I've seen no
standards doc that really specifies this (feel free to correct me).

 - todd