Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: luomat () PEAK ORG (Timothy J Luoma)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:19:45 -0400

        Author: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
        Date:   Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:21:20 -0400
        ID:     <199807280321.XAA08929 () jekyll piermont com>

While I'll agree that this is a very lame bug (in the sense
that it shouldn't exist), one can hardly call it an exploit.

Dunno. If your ISP was running on OpenBSD it would be pretty damn
annoying.

Sure, annoying, but an exploit?  Is BugTraq going to start publishing all
local attacks and crashers?

Personally, I find the constant claims that OpenBSD is more secure
than FreeBSD and NetBSD annoying. We all do extensive security
work. This is just another example of a fairly common situation -- in
which OpenBSD has a bug that other BSDs don't. Sometimes it is the
other way around, too, but you'd think from the propaganda that it was
always, or even usually, OpenBSD that was the most secure system.

I've seen a lot more exploits for Free-/Net- BSD posted to BugTraq than for
OpenBSD.

I haven't seen any remote exploits for OpenBSD in recent memory, nor any
root exploits local or remote.

Saying that this _one_ example "proves" that OpenBSD is not more secure than
Free-/Net- BSD doesn't really seem rational.

TjL

--
I go offline on 31 July 1998
Mail delivered to "luomat () peak org" will eventually be