Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security risk with powermanagemnet on Solaris 2.6

From: sink () CBL UMCES EDU (Robert Sink)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:58:59 -0400

On Jul 16, Ralf Lehmann ralfl () darwin muc de (ralfl () DARWIN MUC DE) wrote:
Recently we found a security risk caused by powermanagement on Solaris
2.6. I am pretty sure that it exists on Solaris 2.5 too, though I
haven't tested it.

[snip]

Powermanagement Functionality:

If you are using a desktop like CDE or OpenLook you can press the
on/off button on the keyboard to suspend the system. Suspending means

[more snip]

From my experience, there are two things you can do to disable this
functionality plus L1-A  and they are as follows:

/etc/default/sys-suspend

PERMS=-

This will prevent anyone except root from being able to select the
suspend feature in the right click menu on the CDE desktop, this
however doesn't seem to have any effect on the physical power button
on the front of the Ultra 5 case.  The buttom seems to serve as a
shutdown feature.  But hey, they can also flip the power switch or
pull the plug to achieve this, too.  One of the pitfalls of openlab
machines.

...and then as Casper Dik recently posted...

/etc/default/kbd

KEYBOARD_ABORT=disable

--

Robert Sink - Asst. Dept. Head - Computer/Network Services
Univ. of Maryland Chesapeake Biological Laboratory - Solomons, MD.