Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: ben () ALGROUP CO UK (Ben Laurie)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:51:29 +0100

David Schwartz wrote:
        How do you think the compiler would interpret the following:

MyString Foo="test";

        It would _have_ to call a constructor. There is no other way to make a
'MyString'. So your distinction is a distinction without a difference.

That's my point. MyString requires a call to a constructor. An int
doesn't. That's the difference.

        No you cannnot know that _in_general_. The code 'int
MyString::StringCount=0;' and the code 'MyString Foo="test"' are on an equal
level -- both construct global objects and initialize them to sane states.
So in general, you can't know which will occur first.

No, we know that 'int MyString::StringCount=0;' is done first, because
it needs no run-time initialisation.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
and Technical Director|Email: ben () algroup co uk |

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/