Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fix for SMB DOS attack posted

From: paulle () MICROSOFT COM (Paul Leach)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:31:12 -0800

A bug Oliver privately reported (with more information and a repro program)
was one of the ones fixed by the patch; it also fixed another one that I
don't believe was reported (but since I was wrong about his...). I didn't
realize he had posted a report about it to BUGTRAQ. I didn't want to mention
his name without his permission. I'll gladly credit the other guy too, if he
says its OK (I've sent mail).

In any case, what I was really thinking and could have said better was that
there was no publically released exploit.

People worried about NT DOS attacks should also look at the LSA-FIX from
last June. It fixed the problems mentioned by Paul Ashton in the archived
message.