Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Postfix design directions

From: peter () ATTIC VUURWERK NL (Peter van Dijk)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:54:39 +0100

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 03:02:30PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
This is an invitation for constructive discussion regarding the
merits of world-writable maildrop directories versus set-uid or
set-gid posting agents.

The Postfix design takes an unusual approach. In the light of
experience, I have no difficulty making changes to the design, but
I want to make an informed decision.

World-writable maildrop directories
-----------------------------------

[SNIP]

Set-uid/gid posting agents
--------------------------

[SNIP]

Future direction
----------------

I see two directions for Postfix evolution: 1) maintain the present
world-writable maildrop and unprivileged posting agent and 2) use
a protected directory and a set-gid posting agent (set-uid seems
to have no obvious advantage here). Is it feasible to keep maildrop
queue file names secret, and are the other attacks indeed mere
annoyances? Is it feasible to write secure set-gid programs that
are not only secure today, but that will be secure on tomorrow's
UNIX systems as well?

3) Use a UNIX socket, TCP/IP, named pipes, whatever you want, to communicate
between user-level, user-owned processes (which might be a nice sendmail-like
interface) and a long-running process that writes into the queue.

No s[ug]id execution, no world-writeable dirs, just a small performance hit.

Greetz, Peter.
--
'I guess anybody who walks away from a root shell at :         Peter van Dijk
 a nerd party gets what they deserve!' -- BillSF     :peter () attic vuurwerk nl