Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Nmap network auditing/exploring tool V. 2.00 released

From: lamontg () RAVEN GENOME WASHINGTON EDU (Lamont Granquist)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:40:45 -0800

Another nmap-induced denial-of-service is against many machines inetd's
when doing a TCP connect() scan (-sT) with the result of killing the inetd
process.  I've found that Digital Unix and Irix have been vulnerable to
this.  I cannot reliably reproduce the problem[*] and have not tested it
against xinetd.

The work-around for the nmap user is to never use connect() scans, and to
explicitly use -sS (or one of the other stealth scans) in conjunction with
-O.  There is no workaround for the system admin of the scanned system
that I know of, other than automated monitoring for crashed inetds (I'd
probably use netcat connecting to an inetd service like TCP daytime in a
loop with appropriate logic and an appropriate response action...).

[*] I have confirmed that it happens in response to a connect() scan and
    not any other TCP scan type and that it sometimes occurs immediately
    following a connect() scan when the inetd had been verified
    immediately previously to be running fine.