Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RSI.0008.08-18-98.ALL.RPC_PCNFSD

From: casper () HOLLAND SUN COM (Casper Dik)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:00:16 +0200

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, RSI Advise wrote:

Announced:     July 14, 1998
Report code:   RSI.0008.08-18-98.ALL.RPC_PCNFSD
Report title:  All rpc.pcnfsd
Vulnerability: Please see the details section
Vendor status: IBM contacted on August 3, 1998
               Hewlett Packard contacted on August 3, 1998
               Sun Microsystems contacted on August 3, 1998
               Slackware contacted on August 3, 1998
Patch status:  Linux and AIX patch information is provided below
Platforms:     Vulnerable:

               SunOS: 4.1.3, 4.1.4
               Solaris: 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6

OK, TurboLinux 2.0 is NOT vulnerable, and neither is Redhat 5.1 despite
what it says up there.  Why?  Because neither TL nor RH 5.1 even include
rpc.pcnfsd (checked by querying every RPM package in both distributions,
grepping for 'pcnfs' -- no matches).

The same can be said about SunOS 4.x/Solaris 2.x; none of them include
rpc.pcnfsd.  PCNFSD is shipped as part of the PC NFS package.

Still Sun's responsibility.

I don't think Sun's latest patched rpc.pcnfsd is vulnerable to problem #2;
our suspicious check also checks for \ *and* the daemon quotes all arguments
passed to system with single quotes.  (And single quotes do quote newlines)

Strings on the latest rpc.pcnfsd (from patch 104445-01) gets me:

    \;|&<>`'#!?*()[]^/
    ps630 -s '%c%c' -p '%s' -f '
    ' -F '
    '  '
    /usr/bin/lp -c -d'%s' '%s'
    /usr/bin/lpstat '%s'
    /usr/bin/lpstat -a '%s' -p '%s'
    /usr/bin/cancel '%s'

Which seems to indicate that it will survive being passed '\ncommand\n'

The other problem does exist.

Casper