Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: YA Apache DoS attack

From: marcs () ZNEP COM (Marc Slemko)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:10:52 -0700

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Scott Burke wrote:

Kovacs Andrei wrote:

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan [ISO-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:

        Today when I was looking at the Apache 1.3.1 help files i've
found a
parameter that might stop this: "RLimitMem". I guess this should make
Apache
use only the amount of memory that you want to.

        Andy

   That will limit the amount of memory consumed by Apache itself, which
will
save your whole system from being DoS'd, but the server itself will
still be
able to be DoS'd. That merely compartmentalizes the damage :)

No, this will not do anything against this attack.

The RLimit* directives only impact the amount of memory used by other
processes (eg. CGIs) that Apache spawns.

As I originally posted, if you want to prevent Apache from eating memory
simply set the appropriate ulimit before starting Apache.

It isn't a denial of service attack if there is no denial of service.  If
you have the appropriate ulimits, then on many machine a single attack
will not deny any service.  Then it becomes a game of sending multiple
ones at the same time, etc.