Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux 2.1.115 oops (demo and fix)

From: chris () CYBERNET CO NZ (Chris Wedgwood)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:05:25 +1200

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 07:02:40PM +0100, Duncan Simpson wrote:

2.1.115 devpts contains a bug that can prevent you from unmounting
file systems and the exploit program sticks in uninteruptable sleep
until you reboot. It may be possible to trash kernel data
structures using the bug with difficulty. I have yet to both ends
of a pty using ptmx and devpts. I assume other version are
vulnerable too.

[...]

Why is this even on BugTraq?

I assume almost everyone (including Aleph One) knows that 2.1.x is a
_development_ kernel version so bug should be reported to
linux-kernel () vger rutgers edu or security-audit () ferret lmh ox ac uk
where hopefully somebody can and will deal with it in a timely
fashion, and any fixes supplied will be greatfully accepted and
verified by the kernel gurus.

Anybody who runs 2.1.x on a production server and has it blow up or
whatever, deserves what they get.

In short, don't use 2.1.x for production/stable systems, use 2.0.x or
wait for 2.2.x.

Similar arguments apply to development releases of *BSD, etc.

-Chris