Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: WinNT syscalls insecurity

From: solar () FALSE COM (Solar Designer)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 00:54:28 +0300

Hello!

What patch level have you tested this under?  Your results can very well

This was an unpatched version of NT, you're right. I'll check out SP3 when
I have some more spare time. I'm not using NT for any real work, it's just
fun for me to find out how various operating systems are implemented.

vary depending on whether SP3+getadmin fixes were applied.  Costin Rau
(sp?) found a number of NtXXX calls which caused crashes if they were fed a
0xFFFFFFFF pointer, and all of these were fixed by the second attempt at
the getadmin patch.  Costin did a fairly extensive job of checking back in
July.

The purpose of my message was to show that NT uses a bad approach to syscalls,
and dealing with parameters imported from user space. I'm told SP3 got many
particular bugs fixed. However, if NT used a better approach (the suggestions
at the end of my original message), these bugs would never appear. I don't
think that fixing particular bugs is the right thing to do: some will likely
remain.

BTW, self-inflicted denial of service attacks aren't at the top of my list
of evils.  OTOH, if you were to find a way to set the NtGlobalFlag again,
now _that_ would be interesting.

BTW, if a better approach to dealing with the pointers was used (like different
segment base addresses), GetAdmin would never appear. As for another GetAdmin,
I just wasn't looking for it yet.

Signed,
Solar Designer