Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: libX11 overflow continued....

From: lamontg () HITL WASHINGTON EDU (Lamont Granquist)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 05:38:50 -0700

On Fri, 30 May 1997, David Hedley wrote:
Set the environment variable XAPPLRESDIR to be your home directory (you
will only have to do this if it is already pointing somewhere else, or
you have set some of the other X resource enviroment variables like
XUSERFILESEARCHPATH), and then run xterm. xterm will then segmentation
fault/bus error etc.

Joe Zbiciak's wrapper almost protects against this.  It nukes XAPPLRESDIR,
XUSERFILESEARCHPATH and any environment variables that aren't in a small
set of approved ones (I had to add DISPLAY to this list).  The problem is
that xterm will still pick up ~/XTerm anyway on the machine I tested this
on (varies based on configuration?  anyone know offhand how to configure
it to not do this?). However, it does protect against, say ~/foobar/XTerm
with XAPPLRESDIR pointing to ~/foobar.

I tested this on an R5k O2 Irix 6.3.

Of course this probably just moves the buffer overflow into xrdb -merge,
(correct, David?)

--
Lamont Granquist <lamontg () hitl washington edu> (206)616-1469 fax:(206)543-5380
Human Interface Technology Lab.  University of Washington.  Seattle, WA