Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Interim solution for ps

From: kirby () COSMIC UGA EDU (Steven Kirby)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 00:45:17 -0400

Here's a generic wrapper I've written that you can use as an interim
solution for wrapping /usr/bin/ps and /usr/ucb/ps.  (/usr/ucb/ps looks
to be similarly vulnerable.)  The code is fairly well documented IMHO,
and should be adaptable enough to wrap just about any program.

I'll have to look at this more closely in the morning, but I suspect you may
have reinvented the wheel.  (Though, at first glance, it looks like a *really*
nice wheel! :-))

The folks at AUSCERT released a generic wrapper program to handle buffer
overflow problems a while back.  It's available from:

       ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/tools/overflow_wrapper.c

It's been the answer to more than one advisory that began "Due to insufficient
bounds checking... ").

--steve

          It's not what you know, but what you think of in time.

        Steven Kirby    University of Georgia   kirby () cosmic uga edu