Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Frotpage Extensions and Unix

From: mjastrem () THUNDER OCIS TEMPLE EDU (M.)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:02:32 -0500

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Roland Spatzenegger wrote:

has anyone ever checked the Unix Frontpage Extensions for security holes ?
(Haven't found anything in the mailimglist archiv)
They are distributed as binaries and run as suid root (and are from M$ .-).

We were investigating installing them here at Temple U. on the request of
a faculty member.  Upon installing FP I it dawned on me that they were entirely
too messy and dangerous to use.  (They also managed to take control of
99% of the CPU for a couple of hours!).  Rather than risk duplication of
effort, see the following pointer for details :

        http://www.mr.net/~fritchie/frontpage.html .

//Michael.

,      \|/    michael jastremski ( mike () temple edu
   *  -[ ]-   http://newsroom.temple.edu ) http://thunder.temple.edu/~mjastrem
 .     /|\    temple universe // philadelphia, USA
   0       .