Bugtraq mailing list archives

[linux-security] Re: Linux virus

From: aleph1 () DFW NET (Aleph One)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 17:57:18 -0600

Aleph One seems to have said:

ugh :)

Today I became infected with the bliss virus, any info on this would be
appreciated!  How do I scan for files infected and is it possible to
remove it?  I first noticed the infection when running a program (not as
root) messages flashed on the screen about transversing directories and
such.  The program (gimp) had been working fine since I downloaded the
binary for gimp from their main site.  The gimp people told me they have
not been receiving complaints their binaries are infected, so something
else must be the source.

Here are a few lines from the infected file:

        Note from Chengi (Jimmy) Kuo of McAfee Associates:

If they download the Linux scanner, and download the DAT file from
http://beta.mcafee.com/public/datafiles

And use the two together, they will be able to detect Bliss.  It
will be called: LINUX/HLLO.17892 (BLISS).

Please forward this information to the mail group.

Jimmy

--
Jim Dennis,                                info () mail starshine org
Proprietor,                          consulting () mail starshine org